The last two days have been amazing. Difficult,challenging but exciting. After leaving Puebla I quickly found myself in the mountains, high, cold, with several snow covered peaks. Suddenly I was in a dense cloud and could only see the side of the pavement, seeing no more than five feet in front of me. I was mortified. The only good thing was I kept going into tunnels running through the mountains. as I finally descended, cold from both the temperature and fear, the rain began. The remainder of the day was intermittently rainiy or sunny and very hot.

I traveled MX 150D which runs from Puebla to Veracruz but I really never got into Veracruz electing instead to take Hwy 185 south to the Pacific coast. Along the way the rain became so intense that I stopped in a small village and got a room in a very rustic hotel, no hot water but it did have a latch on the door which was an improvement.  The proprietor and his family immediately made me feel welcome.  They insisted we bring the beemer into the hotel, where it spent a restful and secure night in the middle of their living room.

Traveling down Hwy 185 today to the Pacific coast today was a beautiful ride, except for the condition of the road. The pavement was totally destroyed much of the way and the potholes would have swallowed a small car.

After I crossed the contenental divide, dropping down out of the mountains, the wind became bad. Bad is an understatement, several times I thought it as going to pick me and the Beemer up and throw us into the hills. I have never ridden in such hard wind. If you are following my progress on the Tracker, you will notice that I actually had to leave the coast to move back toward the mountains in an attempt to lessen the wind. However, the wind remains terrible.

I happened to run upon a British guy, Steve Baker, on a BMW motorcycle on the way to Tierra Del Fuego and he and I rode together this afternoon. He has a lot of experience doing adventure riding and the afternoon has been interesting talking with him. I really did not know he was even in the area but when the wind finally exhausted me, I pulled into a restaurant, pulled to the side looking for a shelter where the wind would not blow my bike over, and there sat his BMW R1150 Adventure. Upon entering the restaurant, there sat a bloke in full riding gear. He is much better outfitted for this ride than am I. He even has a GPS while I am using old fashioned paper maps. How would I know how to use a GPS anyway?

We have stopped in the beautiful town or Arriaga, .in the state of Chiapas, Mexico. We were able to find a great hotel. Air conditioning and hot water. Clean sheets to boot. Tomorrow, Steve and I are parting ways and I am heading directly to the border with Guatemala. I hope to cross into Guatemala Tuesday afternoon.

My health remains good, I am eating fine but feel extremely challenged riding this tough area. Rain, fog clouds, cold, heat and the strongest winds in which I have ever ridden. What more could I ask for?

By the way, I saw my first two ox carts, working today. I wanted to pull off to take pictures, but the shoulder was non existent and with my marvelous sidestand I have to be careful where I dismount the bike.

I am in Arriga, Chilpas, Mexico. I hope to cross the border with Guatemala sometime Wednesday.